- Stats/Prob. modules developed for Bio 33/ab
- Physical Sciences, Biology, Mathematics, Math Workshop
- Anna/Emral also teaching a learning community with A&P and math (Bio 50/50).
Discussion of other efforts on campus to support math:
- Bio learning communities (11 and 33)
- Bio 13 boot camp (S3)
- MAT M1/M2 4-day (16 hour) workshops for high-fail students to pass
Feedback on modules:
- Send the worksheets/quizzes
- Some technical revisions to these specific modules (suggested by math faculty)
- Supporting QR vs. calculator skills (e.g.: estimation, rules of thumb such as divisibility by 3).
Center for Math & Technology (previously: Math Workshop)
- Students can come for math help, including math support for other courses(walk-in help; can get schedule from center for specific tutors with specific expertise)
- STEM instructors can supply info to CMT, who can assist as much as possible
- Budget drastically cut
How to improve QR (Qualitative Reasoning)?
- A long-term proposition, but how to best approach?
- Relevant examples (like % body fat) — contextualizing an abstract concept
- Repetition/more exposure
- Practice examples in various concepts
- Coordination across faculty (tutors for content course, workshop tutors, faculty, etc.)
Next meeting: Will send out a Doodle(but only for days at 1:50 PM) after spring break.